Ming-Na Wen is one of the best and very first Chinese-American actresses to have a contract role on a remarkable TV series “As the World Turns” filmed in 1956 which lead her to be chosen as “100 Most Inspiring Asian Americans of All Time” by Goldsea Asian-American daily.
Ming-Na early education was like any normal person. She finished her secondary level at Mt. Lebanon High School, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1981 where at that time her family ran an inn restaurant. Her brother Jonathan and her half-brother Leong, managed their restaurant at present .
Her college life was no different. She graduated at Carnegie Mellon University with a degree course in Theater which at first was disliked by her mother who wanted her to take medicine instead.
She married Kirk Aanes but their marriage was unsuccessful. They got divorced after three years without any son or daughter. After two years, she met Eric Michael Zee and married him and they have two children named Michaela, thirteen years old and Cooper Dominic, eight years old at present
Ming-Na Wen achieved a lot in her career:
- Her very first lead film was in 1993 , “The Joy Luck Club” as Jing-Mei “June” Woo.
- She had four projects in 1994 such as “Terminal Voyage”, “Hong Kong 97”, “Street Fighter”, “ER”.
- Wen also engaged in voice dubbing. She dubbed in Disney’s animated movie Mulan, up to the video sequel Mulan II and the video game Kingdom Hearts II.
- She even voiced Aki Ross in the computer animated film “Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within“.
- She played the role of Detective Ellen Yin in the animated series “The Batman”.
- She was also invited to voice for the HBO animated series “Spawn” as Jade.
- Lately, she was given a television series as a regular cast in the Stargate Universe which ran for two years.
- She also made an appearance in “Disney through the Decades”, a very short documentary informing the history of the Walt Disney Company through the present, as to the one of the hostess 1990’s section which can be found on the Diamond Edition release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Ming-Na Wen continues her work and her passion as an actress. This 2013, she is in “Nashville” as Calista Reeves and play a regular role in “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” as agent Melinda May.